Are you looking for the next step in your design career where you can focus on building and nurturing a team of talented, passionate product designers? Do you want to bring your HCD skills to bear to create meaningful change in an organisation to help them fully realise their opportunities? Are you passionate about helping people grow personally and professionally? This may be the role for you!
Rexlabs is a 80-person digital product and service company based in Teneriffe, Brisbane. Our company has recently undertaken a significant re-organisation, with a focus on product/feature teams over discipline-based teams, the adoption of OKRs and agile working practices. As we move away from “Heads” of teams and focus on practical team coaching and development, the Design Operations Manager will be central to matruring our design practice, and ensuring we deliver our designers the best possible experience.
As the Design Manager at Rexlabs you will play a key role in managing and growing our 5-person design team (and growing), helping the team deliver the best research-led design work for our range of products in a complex and changing domain.
This role will include line management and professional development responsibilities, and has a strong focus on people and facilitation.
In this role, you will leverage your prior experience to help elevate how we understand customer problems, and design world-class products. The role will have overall responsibility for the DesignOps function for Rexlabs. DesignOps is currently in its infancy and we’re looking for this role to help us build and mature our capability. DesignOps will include, but it not limited to:
People & Leadership
- Be a part of the company management team, helping support the decisions and strategy the company takes in order to achieve its vision and mission.
- Provide line management and day-to-day support for the designers, running design team reviews and weekly team meetings
- Provide professional development support, including building and refining the team’s skills matrix, helping designers self assess, and running performance reviews.
- Run regular 1:1 meetings with the designers to ensure their wellbeing, motivate and encourage, help track and meet development objectives and provide ongoing feedback.
- Ownership of the designer recruitment process, including working with our recruiters, writing position descriptions, assessing candidates, organising and facilitating in-person or remote interviews, planning and running whiteboard design challenges, and designing take-home design challenges
- Organising world-class onboarding experiences for new team members.
- Help optimise collaboration between the design team and other teams in the company, including developer collaboration and hand off
- Establish a clear, pragmatic vision for the design team as the company moves to product/feature teams and a more decentralised design team modal.
- Responsibility for the development of our design principles, values and culture.
- Formalise and document our design processes in the context of our product designers working in product teams
- Work alongside our Research Lead to ensure end-to-end integration of research and UX design functions in the team and ensure harmony between design strategy and design execution.
- Define our best practices and standards against which we design solutions, with a focus on outcomes, value delivery and incremental improvement.
- Undertake generative and evaluative research activities in support of the work undertaken to improve the designer experience.
- Facilitate workshops and design sprints to aid collaboration within and between product teams and customers, as well as train the designers and other members of Rexlabs to run their own workshops and design sprints.
- Establish events and communications to promote design activities, insights and ideas throughout the company (e.g. lunch n learn sessions)
- Actively manage and report on design activity, status and challenges to the management team
- Ensure our design teams have the right tools to do their best work in a cost effective and efficient manner, integrating into our current company tools where appropriate. Manage user access and billing for our team software and services.
- Document team knowledge, practices, templates and other documents centrally to improve discoverability and engagement for the team and the company as a whole.
- Represent the design team in the ongoing development of our internal knowledge management system, with a focus running workshops, gathering requirements for the design team, and enabling the design team to contribute ongoing to Orbit.
- Define a solution to enable the team to measure metrics of success, and ensure designers are able to align with them.
Experience & Skills
- 5+ years of design experience as a senior designer in a digital product company or agency (a senior producer from an agency would also be considered if they had suitable design skills as well).
- 3+ years experience in managing internal design teams, including demonstration of practice development, line manager responsibilities and overall ownership of the delivery of design.
- Change management experience, with some prior exposure to large modernisation projects for established products.
- A significant amount of user research experience across complex domains, including conducting remote user interviews and contextual inquiry, design sprints and more.
- Mastery of the modern product design toolset, with advanced skills in Sketch, XD or Figma and strong prior experience using other ancillary tools such as InVision, Principle, Dovetail or others.
- You are a people-orientated with a passion for developing teams to do their best work.
- Technically minded, with confidence in dealing with information architecture and abstract problem-solving. You may not have development experience, but you should feel comfortable working in a technical environment.
- A passion for prioritising outcomes over output. We’re after people who are relentlessly pragmatic and who value solving the problems of our users - in a measurable way - instead of raw delivery.
- Efficient and direct communication skills, with the ability to wrangle valuable outcomes out of complicated discussions.
- Skills in visual design with a keen eye for aesthetics.
- A passion for the software industry and modern software design.